From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:47:52 EST
Chris writes
>>The mother of an 8 month old boy was referred to me by the pediatrician me
because her milk production is almost non-existent after work.She's been
pumping at
work and that production has gone from 18 ounces to 10 ounces. <<

I am afraid to suggest increased pumping at work as she is probably staring
at the amounts becoming more and more frustrated. I might suggest that she
take a day or two off around a w/e (presuming she has the w/e off!) and
simply increase the frequency of her nursings. An eight month old may or may
not be willing to oblige but cutting back on solids may help!
I would guess that a more likely cause, rather than hormonal fluctuations, is
that the baby is increasing solids and thus cutting back on amts. taken at
breast thus reducing supply....does this make sense?
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts