From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 19:29:30 -0500
Hi Christine
My main thinking re this case is that the mother/baby separation is key.
Even using a pump I think for most moms it is inevitable to see a decline in
production when separated from baby for work. The way I look at it is that
when with the baby basically 24/7, the baby takes many nursings during what
would be a typical 8 hr workday. If the mother expresses at work, even with
a great pump, she may do so only 1x or 2x.
There may be other factors, as well to consider:
1. does she have a good piston-electric pump?
2. you say she missed one day on the pill and then her supply decreased. Was
this right away when she started the pills and then i would say the pills
might have contributed to a decrease, or if she saw no decrease til several
months later, probably not the pill. or was the pill missed months later? if
so, when was the pregnancy test done, if done early after the missed pill or
missed periiods if she's having periods, maybe repeat it now?
3. is the baby on solid foods (an 8 mo old could certainly be on this),
which can be overused and contribute to less bf?
4. is the baby sleeping alot at nite and not doing any bf at nite, of which
nite nursing can be a catch up time for milk supply?
that's all i can think of now to ask. to increase her supply would be to
change any and all of the above factors.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA