Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:23:03 EDT

In a message dated 3/15/2007 12:43:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

For  those of you who have observed that passing the IBLCE exam does  not
guarantee excellence in practice, and who would argue that licensure is  not
a good enough guarantee to the public, I remind you that passing the  nursing
or medical boards, or the state bar exam, does not guarantee  excellence
either.  But it's the best we can do in the real world we  live in.

Here here Rachel. This is Pam standing on her computer chair and clapping
because you have said it all and said it well. I can think of many times I
wondered where licensed professionals got their credential. Haha.   Licensure does
not guarantee quality regardless of how it is given.  You  still have to
judge each professional on their own merit.  But, at  least you know they met the
very barest of standards to pass the  test.

 In my state you need a license to sell real estate or paint nails. I  have
no problem with needing a license to practice as long as it does not  require
another credential.  I would want to work towards protecting the  IBCLC
credential. However, unless they change the scope of practice to be more  relative to
real IBCLC work, I do not see the point of working toward  licensure.  If
IBLCE cannot put together a realistic scope of practice,  I do not see the value
in licensure.  The real possibility  however is that each state in the US with
a licensure body would create a SOP  even more restrictive and then the
credential stays as it is...restriction of  proper care to mothers and babies and
protecting the hcp who gives improper  information at the expense of
breastfeeding.  When a mom can go online and  find article after article that supports
what we are saying to her, who are we  to deny her access to the information?
What is the hcp going to do? Forbid  the mother to read? Sheeze.

I have been trying to understand the reasoning for this. The only thing I
can come up with is that in a hospital setting, a nurse is not allowed to
contradict an order. It doesn't matter what the order is, she follows it. Yes,
yes, it is not true, she is supposed to refuse, but realistically that is not
the work world and she will be unemployed or whatever if she doesn't go along
with the status quo.  So, along comes the private practice non nurse IBCLC  who
can indeed share the correct information with the mom and now the mom is
questioning her health care provider. Eeks, no, a mother questions her  hcp?  We
cannot have that. SO, what to do.  Stop the private practice  LC too. Now,
when a doctor says it is so, that's it, no one can tell the mother  any
different.  The mother follows the orders, the baby weans, is exposed  to formula, but
hey, formula is not a big deal and we crazy LC people need to  get over it,
and everyone is happy.  Especially the pharmaceutical  companies who profit from
the ignorance of breastfeeding.

I do not see how it would be possible to be an IBCLC and not contradict a
doctor unless you live in breastfeeding utopia and I would so love to live
there, but I do not.  I live in the USA where money rules and very few get  that
breastfeeding is the normal and needs to be protected. In my area formula  is
given routinely as a cure for everything. The Scope needs to fit the  reality
of practice or it's only usefulness is to stop private practice non  medical
licensed IBCLCs.  I still think that is their ultimate goal.   I wonder how many
non medical persons there are currently with their IBCLC  certification and
what will happen to the IBLCE when they no longer make  it possible for anyone
to practice with any ethics unless they  are health care providers?  Maybe in
this case money will talk too. It  is after all the American way.  Maybe there
will be enough less  people bothering to certify this next exam that they
realize this is a real  problem.  Perhaps when the numbers start dropping because
less and less  people see any point in being gagged and forced to deny care
to any mother not  willing to have her hcp involved in every detail of her
life, maybe then they  will say oops.

I agree with everyone who has said the IBCLC is the gold standard of
achievement.  I never questioned that. I was also so very proud of the  achievement.
It was proof of my knowledge and skills and it meant enough  to me to
re-certify first by cerps and then exam.  I know that this is  proof we have at meant
a standard of knowledge that is met by everyone else who  passes the same
exam. My only question is why anyone would bother  if certification means you
lost your ability to tell mothers what they need  to know to successfully
breastfeed. Which brings us back to the  beginning.  What is the goal of IBLCE with
their new idea of scope of  practice that does not protect mothers and babies?
Who profits?  Being an  American, I know that there is always someone to
profit when mothers and babies  are going to lose.

Take care,
Pam MazzellaDiBosco