From:
eileen Ahearn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:04:22 -0400
My 2 cents re the credential:
   I was in the original group of people who wrote the IBLCE exam in
1985 and I have been recertified continuosly since. I have just been
transferred to a full-time position at the University where I work and
my job description calls for an "IBCLC in good standing with a
university degree in a relevant discipline, at least five years
experience in the field, and proven abilities as a teacher."

I have no problems with the SoP because part of teaching is explaining
what I do and why I do it , and discussing with the clinician who has
ultimate responsibility for his or her patients. The people I work
with respect my expertise and abilities and I have high regard for
theirs. The learners who shadow me come to know the value of an allied
health professional with expertise in lactation.

To all of you who are questioning the value of certification and
recertification, I say "Hang in there!' As you become better known and
you build a reputation, there will be more and more opportunities for
"just" IBCLCs; those five letters are your only paper proof that you
have some competency in the field.

 My degree is a BSc in Chemistry from the days before the discovery of
the atom. My IBCLC is the reason I have my position and I will most
definitely be recertifying.

Eileen Ahearn Shea, BSc, IBCLC
Lactation Consultant/Breastfeeding Educator
McMaster University Faculty of Medicine
Department of Family Medicine