From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 21:22:53 -0800
 Ah, great minds think alike...I, too was waiting for the Herpes Simplex
Virus (HSV) I or II debate to break out (no pun).  Type I is endemic in our
population, with nearly 95% of adults testing positive (worldwide it's
90%).  Type I can be of the mouth "cold sore" variety OR on other body
parts, including the genitals, but it is still Type I even there.  Genital
Herpes (Type II) is USUALLY located in the genital area.  Type II
prevalence is 20% overall in the US adult population, with upwards of 60%
prevalence in lower SES groups.  Unless this child has had some very
intimate contact or the mother has had active Type II lesions exposed to
this child's mucous membranes, it is VERY unlikely that this is Type II.
IMHO, if this IS Type II and the mother is Not HSVII positive, then there
are more critical issues to worry about than whether or not bf will affect
the mother (ie. sexual abuse of the child or one of the child's very close
contacts/toddler friends).

For citations see Benenson, AS (ed).  Control of Communicable Diseases in
Man, 1994.  American Public Health Association.

Chris

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]  : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340   : )
: )             **CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**