From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:18:16 -0500
Unfortunately, yes, we will have to defend breastfeeding!  Adult patients
are kept in isolation and are very sick, so pump and dump would be the order
of the day I imagine. Personally I wouldn't want my baby to risk continued
exposure if I was the one with SARS.

If you can get someone to pump her :-(  I've found in ICU situations I was
the only one who wanted to preserve the milk supply, everyone else is saying
why bother, she could die!  Moms have thanked me later for saving BF for
them.

I believe from what I've read the actual death rate is small, it's just so
scarey because they aren't totally sure yet what causes it and how it is
being spread.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ who had 3 peds pts with pneumonia
yesterday and I was just waiting for a parent to ask if it was SARS :-(
Amazing, no one did!)