From:
Theresa Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 20:49:19 -0800
Its interesting how change comes about.  Sometimes
patient led and sometimes people within.  I know that
at a recent facility I worked at, I suggested that the
mom who had decided to breasfeed and about to undergo
a c/s nurse her baby while she was being recovered on
a different floor.  The nurses all looked at me like I
had a middle eye.  I told them there was no reason not
too unless we didnt have the staff that could remain
with baby while it nursed.  So I told mom that after
she got to recovery I would bring the baby down to
nurse.  She said, "I dont think I can, I wont feel
like it."  I told her, "You provide the breast and I
will do the rest."  She said okay.  Of course, it went
well.  The ICU nurses had a clear bay they could
recover her in (so no infection control issues) and
this spoke volumes to staff in ICU, OB and to the
parents as to the value of her colostrum.  It could
have been anyone thinking outside the box.  It just
happened to be me that day.

From then on the staff used that mantra on any lady
who had a difficult breastfeeding situation that could
be overcome by someone else positioning and remaining
with baby so it could feed.  The head nurse wrote up a
little guideline policy and more staff have done the
same little scenario.  Its nice to see great outcomes!

Theresa Johnson
Heidelberg Germany