From:
"D. Shinskie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 19:21:19 -0400
Geoff:  First, I think it is wonderful that your are not blindly accepting
of an idea & really want to explore its potential!  You are forcing all of
us to really look long & hard at what we practice and that's great!

You state:  <<Fluoroscopic studies also show that the nipple (since it is
vey flexible/supple) is drawn to the oropharynx, breast milk rarely enters
the oral cavity.  It is expressed into the oropharynx where the (as yet to
bew fully
understood) swallow occurs...Cup feeding goes against this paradigm as it
assumes the infant can control the bolus orally which goes against what is
known about flexor skills (again Morris and more if you wish).>>

Bottle feeding ALSO goes against this paradigm!  You are onto something here
- we REALLY need to look long & hard at the safety of bottles - I am
speaking outside this group, of course!  We already do that SOOO well!

You also state:  <<Therefore, an infant does not lap.  (Studies of infant
-v- dog feeding have been done, no references off hand).>>

I had to chuckle at this mential pic this created!  But all funnies aside,
they indeed DO lap it up, in spite of what this research might have said!  I
would encourage a visit to an NICU that cupfeeds their wee ones!  What a
wonderful sight it is! Also, I wish you would dig out your references for us
- we are a hungry lot for such stuff!

<<I am open to cup feeding but I want definitive proof of it's safety - long
term safety as well.>>

And we hunger for this in regards to bottle feeding.  We know what it does
to O2 sats & heart rate - we need to really raise the consciousness of
healthcare providers regarding these concerns.  Since cupfeeding is
certainly not as widespread in the US as bottle feeding, I should think it
would behoove us to do the bottle feeding safety studies as a priority - or
better yet, a comparative study -breast, bottle, & cup - one that also
differentiates between use of artificial stuff & human milk!  Cup feeding is
viewed by some as a less invasive means to alternate feeding - it is a
baby-led activity.  And though not for every baby in every situation needing
an alternative feeding method, as Barbara beautifully articulates, it is a
worthy option.

<<What is more important infant health or cupfeeding to avoid "nipple
confusion" (I hate that term).>>

Geoff, I don't think there's a soul on the list who would put nipple
confusion above the baby's health.  I'm sorry you feel uncomfortable with
that term.  In the real world is is there & a very real threat to the bfing
relationship as it is meant to be.  It never takes precidence over baby's
health, but it is worthy of consideration in the individualized plan of care
for babies needing anything but the breast.

<<And I have seen PhD's names attached to studies that
"prove" infants can cup feed as young as 30 wks AGA.  Nonsense!!!  Do
you know what infant lung maturation is at 30 wks?  Medically assisted
for short.  You orally feed a 30 weeker via any method and your risking
it's longevity if not it's life.  Again the research is out there.>>

Here again, I kindly request that you actually state those studies to which
you are referring.  It helps us a great deal to sort through this or any
other issue & try to make sense of it.  When you say orally feed, do you
also include bfing?

Sorry this is so long but you've REALLY made me think - & on a Friday that
can be a challenge!  Moving back into my weekend mode...

Debbie Shinskie RN CES IBCLC in Millersburg, PA, USA
http://www.epix.net/~shinskie/
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
                                                -Isak Dinesen