From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:27:09 -0700
Kathy,
This mom is nursing a two year old and being told that she will have to
wean? Did the HCP involved ask how often the child nurses, or estimate in
any way the total milk intake and overall risk?

I am in contact with a number of moms who have PCOS. In the past year, more
and more are having metformin prescribed while breastfeeding, though the
number is still small. A few years back, a friend with Type 2 diabetes chose
to resume her metformin after her baby was born. Her pediatrician followed
baby closely and they did a couple of blood tests-- baby was fine. Is it
possible to have this mom go back and talk with her doctor about the
relative risks when breastfeeding a 2 yr old, and the possibility of
monitoring baby if there is such concern?

Comment: the theoretical concern for taking metformin while nursing is the
possibility of inducing hypoglycemia in the infant. However, when metformin
is given to normoglycemic adults, it does nothing to them. Metformin is not
a hypoglycemic, but an anti-insulin resistance drug. Taking all of this into
account might help the mom and her HCP come up with a better plan.

Having said this.......... in regard to herbs for PCOS, vitex (chasteberry)
is one that is often tried. There are a few others also, but they are more
oriented more towards particular symptoms, such as saw palmetto for androgen
excess. The results are variable and not as overarching as with meds such as
metformin.

BTW....... actos or avandia may also be good subs.

I am putting out an inquiry to a midwife I know who works with PCOS; will
let you know what she says.

Lisa Marasco MA IBCLC