From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 23:24:44 EST
In a message dated 12/15/0 2:34:53 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I think this has more to do with our society's sexualization of

breastfeeding. Why else would everyone be claiming that this will cause the

boy "great emotional harm?" Even if he's being coerced, why would this be

more harmful than any other kind of coercion? >>

Teresa,
I agree with you completely. I was thinking that if this child needed to hold
his mother's hand for comfort, or even if she coerced him into doing so, who
would say a word about it? I also agree with the person who asked how it is
that the breast is defined as a sexual organ? By whose definition is this
true? My oldest son weaned when he was 4 1/2, but he held my hair to go to
sleep for more than a year after that (he had always held my hair while he
nursed). To him and to me, holding my breast was no more sexual than holding
my hair.
    I question the use of the word coercion. I have to wonder if this word is
being used here to create an aura of sexual exploitation. It also makes me
think about the coercive nature of parenting styles such as Ezzo, or the
coercion involved in forcing babies to feed from artificial nipples or sleep
through the night. It is so odd to me that coercion is considered abusive in
the context of sexual exploitation, yet in so many other ways, that to me
personally are also abusive, it is considered acceptable.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA