From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:30:23 EST
In a message dated 11/12/0 9:44:12 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< It's a VERY fine line to walk between being an unabashed advocate of
bf and being dogmatic to the point of turning people off totally.  As
an LLLL, I feel that the whole image of LLL is at stake whenever I
talk with a mom about bf.  I really *don't* want to perpetuate the
image of LLL as being a bunch of fanatical,
breastfeed-til-first-grade types.>>

I have been a Leader for 10 years (on reserve now) and what I have learned is
that people will believe what serves them. If two different women hear you
say the same thing, one may hear that she is being supported w/o judgement
and another might hear you as fanatical. I have always felt Leaders are way
too careful, to the point of being fearful. The reality is that almost every
Leader I have ever known is excruciatingly careful about how she presents
information, trying not to judge or give advice. Yet, most people still
perceive LLL as fanatical and Leaders as pushy. So what are we accomplishing,
and so what if our children nurse until first grade?

<< But I certainly agree that parents
should feel just as bad (yes, even guilty) about not breastfeeding as
they would about not using carseats, or smoking around their
child(ren).>>

<<So, back to my question: how exactly can one point out the price that
children pay for their moms not breastfeeding, without alienating the
mom?  I'd love to have a little "script" to file away in my mind for
future use. >>

Sorry, I don't have a script. In my post, I was speaking to a physician. IMO,
docs can say things and be heard that LC's and Leaders can say and be
ignored. I think that if a doc tells a mother that AF harms babies, the
mother is likelyst a biased opinion. (Not that I don't still say it). Go
figure!
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA