From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:35:57 -0500
Rachel says "I appreciate Lactnet's challenges very much. I also appreciate
the tone of
discussions on Lactnet, which seem to be modeled on breastmilk: nurturing,
warm, protective, responsive, anti-inflammatory and promoting healthy
development."

Rachel, thank you for your well thought out comments.  As usual, you are so
very eloquent.

Please, all, watch your tones of "voice," here on the list. Remember,
debate is good, if it  is challenging, and thought provoking, and pertinent
( ie stick to the topic as it relates to breastfeeding).

If debate occurs, keep it as ethical and educational discussions. Allow
yourselves to be challenged, and challenge back, but use tones that are
polite, and don't take things personally. Give the benefit of the doubt to
the other person, and check with them before taking comments as offensive
or attacking.

Thank you. I appreciate the intensity of the discussions and the good
thoughts behind all of our discussions. Let's keep it academic and
enlightening, and not personal, and let's not have either a thin skin, or a
quick trigger finger.  Think the best of your colleagues, and they won't
disappoint you. And, remember, we all don't have to agree to be
heard.  Healthy discussion and debate are the kernels of thought that
promote later "evidence-based research."

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html