From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 14:32:31 -0700
othes since they have elastic leg and waist bands.
> Barbara Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
> eastern NC (latex allergic since 1989, now life threatening and trying to be
> very cautious)

Barbara, I wonder if you might go into some detail about your latex
allergy and the path it took.  1% of the general population is
allergic to latex, and the rates are higher among medical and lab
workers so there is a good chance that several of us (I am) are
allergic or will become allergic over time.   I first showed signs
about 15 years ago when gloves made any cuts on my hands itch and it
has progressed to the blisters that you mention- especially the last
time I tried to use The Keeper menstrual cup.  (that was my sign that
I had to take this *seriously*,)  Had I known that I was having a real
reaction all those years ago, I might have been more cautious in the
years following- maybe others need to hear the warning signs too.

Kate, who is fearful of balloons now, and will have her children not
be touched with latex at medical exams since I will be with them- and
who has to wear a darned medic alert bracelet now.
--
--
Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/advantages-of-formula.html