Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:31:34 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
About JCAHO and needing an order to feed a baby...
It sounds like a simple clarification to the fact that every single patient in a hospital must have a diet order - even if it just "NPO". A baby is a patient, so he/she needs one too. It's standard for all our babies, and it's part of the admission form.  I know some hospitals are using this to their advantage and having a form that assumes breastfeeding, and if the baby is on formula a reason must be given (maternal preference is OK).
I like it because if there is no order for formula, the baby CAN'T get ANY formula without getting a new order and a reason (if you are in one of those few hospitals). So, there is no temptation to just give formula because it is easier at the moment (especially for the staff).
I do have to say that it also causes problems when MDs get in the habit of writing Breastfeeding/Formula of choice ad lib, because it enables the staff to give a bottle of formula whenever they want... I guess the best way to solve that is training and making forms as specific as possible.

Hope it helps,

Daniela Torres Marco RD, IBCLC

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, or copying of this e-mail and its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your computer system.  Thank you.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2