Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 22:06:32 +1000
I'm responding to the posting by Mary-Kay of Kittie's responses.  The
section I find of great interest is McNeilly's work on prolactin release and
manufacture of milk as baby feeds.  How does this fit in with Peter
Hartmann's work on breast capacity, which was measured before and after a
feed?

I've seen the slides and heard the talk from Peter (several times actually -
one advantage of being an Aussie!) and he's certainly pretty convincing.
However, my own personal experience was different.  My first baby (now 14
yrs) would only feed on one side at each feed - this was way before one
sided feeding was advocated for oversupply, and I did have oversupply (he
worked it out for himself - who says babies aren't smart).  Once lactation
was well established and the baby would indicate he wanted to feed I would
feel my breasts to determine which one he was due on, however they both felt
quite soft and if I got it wrong and put him on the most recently used
breast the other breast would let-down and "fill" - felt very full and tense
and I would have to quickly take him off the other side and put him on the
correct side (BTW the one I erroneously put him on would not have any
changes - no let down, no 'filling', no tenseness.

For many years I would also tell mothers that, once their supply has settled
down after the initial fullness that they would be able to feel their
breasts and think 'there isn't a bottle full of milk in there' and there
wouldn't be because it got made fresh as baby drank.  Then along came Peter!

Confused and still hot in Brisbane
(alias Denise Fisher)