From:
Anne Nans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:17:51 -0500
Doris, your mother of twins sounds like a pretty normal mother of multiples dealing with breastfeeding.  There are a couple of things I would like to offer regarding a few of your suggestions to her.  The first thing is that it can be very difficult to plan to tandem feed.  This requires putting babies on a schedule and then assuming that both babies will be showing active feeding cues at the same time.  Scheduling may be this mothers desire and is often popular with mothers of multiples, but scheduling feedings is frowned on in the lactation consultant arena, and many mothers have fed twins while cue feeding.  Sometimes tandom feeding goes really well, but many times, each baby will want to do their own thing,and trying to tandem feed just doesn't work.  I also really encourage moms to feed one baby at a time for maximum bonding with each individual child.

I actually feel really good when I hear mothers telling me they are getting their young multiples out and about.  Being home with babies and not feeling as though you can get out with them can be extremely isolating and I feel this correlates with higher rates of depression in multiple moms.  I would be more interested in finding out how this mother is managing feedings with her errand running.  Does she feed them both before going out and try to manage errands between feedings?  or does she feed them as she goes during her arrand running?  I would definitely encourage her to continue to take them with her, especially if nursing publicly is not an issue for her.

Also, how are the babies doing weightwise.  You mentioned they were 2.5kg now.  Have they been gaining weight?  Is their growth curve OK?  Why was the domperidone started?  How is mom's diet?  Is she drinking plenty of fluids and is her calorie intake upwards of about 3,000kcal of nutritious foods every day?  Is she learning to do side-lying positions to get more rest at night?  Has the "feeding constantly" just started or is an ongoing issue?  If weight gain is OK and mom has had a good milk supply, then this "feeding frenzy" is probably just normal and she may just want to hear that what they are doing is OK, and will probably level out within a few days.

Good luck and thanks for posting her story,
Anne Nans, RN/IBCLC
Fredericksburg, VA
Mom to triplets +1 more!