From:
Linda Cairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 11:59:44 -0400
At a class last night I was asked how to persuade a partner to
breastfeed. My first unconsidered response was that I do not try
to persuade people to bf against their wishes, but try to provide good
reasons for bf and leave it up to them. This may not have addressed the
question sufficiently to help a man whose baby could be bottlefed
against his wishes. Perhaps I could have suggested a compromise whereby
she agrees to bf for just one month to please him, obviously hoping that
she will see the joy of bf by then so she will choose to continue.

Any suggestions please?

Also I would like to provide a handout for anyone interested at these
classes giving some references and *brief* summaries of some research
results. People often ask how long they should feed for. I know I have
seen somewhere some statistics regarding the relative risk of a baby
being hospitalised for enterocolitis depending on whether the baby has
been bf for over 3 mo less than 1 mo etc but can't put my hand on it
immediately. TIA
--
Linda Cairns
Tilehurst, Berkshire, UK - Mum to Jonathan (9), Stephen (7), and Nicky