Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 19:43:40 EST
I had a mother contact me requesting information on breastfeeding and "fat
necrosis and necrosis of a fibroadenoma".  Okay, I'm stumped.  She's given me
permission to post her question in hopes of getting an answer to her
questions.
Her note read as follows:

 MY SURGEON RECOMMENDS STOP BREAST FEEDING DUE TO FAT NECROSIS
I need guidance from someone who supports breastfeeding.  My son is nearly
six months old and well above average in weight & height.  I had hoped to
express milk at work through the end of December and continue evening &
nighttime breastfeeding through May.  However, my general surgeon thinks I
should quit breastfeeding altogether.  My next appt with him is 11-25-02.
Details of my situation follow.

I had a small fibroadnoma that stayed the same size for over a year before I
became pregnant.  During my pregnacy, it grew rapidly and caused plugged milk
ducts after my baby was born, due to location & size of lump --about 2 inches
at widest -- in lower left breast.  In July the surgeon removed it.
Pathology report indicated necrosis of the fibroadnoma and also some fat
necrosis.  Just a week ago, I had another sugery in the same location.  He
found even more fat necrosis and a cyst filled with milk around the area of
fat necrosis.  He can't explain why the necrosis is occurring, and yet he
recommends that I quit breastfeeding soon.

Does this sound like a lactation problem?  Can you point me in the right
direction?  Could I just dry up the problem breast?  As much as I want to
continue breast feeding my son, I do not want to do so if it causes damage
and prevents breastfeeding with future children.  HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THIS
SITUATION BEFORE?
-me here again- Has anyone ever heard of this?  Any ideas or suggestions to
pass along to her?  Thanks, Susan Manore, IBCLC