From:
"Jennifer Tow, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2012 18:02:01 -0500
These comments make little sense to me, as the discussion seems to be about preterm infants, but ALL newborns have permeable guts, so I am not sure what the research design or control was for any of the "unpublished data".

"We don't know just how bad the cell death could be in an actual child with a permeable intestine, but I think it is safe to say that unpasteurised breast milk should not be used if it was stored in the refrigerator for even three days," Dr Alexander Penn, a bioengineer who led the study at the University of California, San Diego, said Reuters Health.
Likewise, infants with a permeable intestine should not drink unpasteurised breast milk frozen at - 20ÂșC for more than a week, Dr Penn says.
I also did no research on the lead researcher, but he seems to come out very strongly in favor of human milk. So, as much as I worry about the same thing you do--I also wonder if the take-home message is that for pre-term babies fresh milk is preferred?

""That said, we have unpublished findings (currently under review) suggesting that even after digestion, the week-old freezer-stored breast milk was considerably less cytotoxic than digested infant formula. So I'd say if my only choice was stored breast milk or formula, I'd go with the breast milk," Dr. Penn said."
Would love Nancy Wight, Jenny Peelan-Thomas or Anne Eglash's take on this?
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, France
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC