From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 13:06:50 -0700
I am so sorry to hear about the article in the NY Daily News.  How awful
for everyone who was misquoted, as well as for anyone who reads it.

I have also had some experience with the press and know that they can
pretty much twist anything around to say what they want it to say.  I
have even been part of a news report where they managed to take parts of
two sentences I had said during the course of a half hour long interview
and make it look like I said it all together.

One way I know of avoiding this is insisting on seeing a piece before it
is published.  With E-mail, there is really no excuse I can think of
that they would have for not letting you see it before it is published.
If they refuse to let you see it, I would be suspicious about what they
were doing with it and try to go over their heads to force them to
either show it to you for approval or prevent it from being published.

Whoever said that the pen is mightier than the sword was very wise!

Aloha,
Darillyn