From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:44:17 -0700
I like the idea of soaking the bottle nipples in breast milk, which would be
less messy than rubbing them with the cream from breast milk, to get them to
hold the scent and flavor of breast milk/mother.  I was wondering how the
soaking works for silicone nipples, versus latex.  Where silicone is
tasteless, and generally doesn't absorb flavors, latex will take on flavors
and scents easily, but also has a distinctive flavor of its own.

I found, with Julia, that the flavor had alot to do with what she was
willing to take.  At the point where I was feeding her with a wide-based,
latex nipple, with a feeding tube threaded through it, positioned directly
over my breast, I would move the nipple, when she was about asleep and still
sucking.  She would open her mouth like she was going to take my breast,
then close her mouth as soon as her tongue touched my skin.  I got a latex
nipple shield and she was willing to take that.  After a couple days of
feeding with that, I moved the shield at the end of a feed, and she finally
took my breast.  I suspect that having worn the latex shield had given my
skin a bit of the flavor of it, too.

I also wanted to concur with the suggestion to take a few days off from all
effort to encourage the baby to take a bottle.  With adopted babies who have
reacted badly to efforts to get them to take the breast, we find it is
essential to back off for a while, before making any further efforts.  Also,
it is important to be prepared to give the baby whatever he is comfortable
with, if she starts getting upset with efforts to make a change.

Darillyn