From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:57:10 -0700
This is the opposite of trying to get a bottle feeding baby to take the
breast, actually.  One thing that has worked is for the baby's father to
take his shirt off and hold the bottle under his arm.  Obviously, the
day-care person would not want to feed the baby in this manner, but if it
can be done at home, and the baby given the chance to gain some familiarity
with the bottle, under circumstances that are more familiar to her, she
should continue to be willing to take the bottle from someone else.

I like the idea of wrapping the bottle with a piece of clothing with the
mother's scent on it.  Perhaps the mother could try wrapping a recieving
blanket around her breast when she nurses, for a day or so, and then try the
bottle with the blanket around it.  Maybe even letting a little breast milk
dry on the blanket would be helpful.  Perhaps coating the bottle nipple with
some cream from some EBM (because the cream would stick better), would help.
I would encourage the parents to be creative, and not to be afraid to try
different things, even if they might sound silly to some people.  I would
think that, once the baby would take the bottle a few times with whatever
creative gimmick they come up, she would take it without the gimmick, too.

Darillyn