"Lisa Marasco, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 22:52:53 -0700
I previously posted a case with a mom who had good bfg management, was
historically borderline hyperthyroid, whose condition increased during
pregnancy, who experienced only mild breast changes and was experiencing
apparent inadequate milk supply. We've been pumping and supplementing, and
her supply has increased, but we still aren't up to her 5 1/2 wk old's
needs after 2 wks of work. She had blood work done last week, and the
prolactin level one hour after breastfeeding late morning was 44.
According to Ruth Lawrence, for this pp time period we should have seen a
baseline of 60-110.  Her T4 has not been analyzed yet, should get these
results in a few days. Any ideas as to where we should go next? Mother
supplements about 6 oz/day, 10 oz a couple of days, and 0 (?!) a couple of
days, according to baby's apparent hunger and satiety cues. Baby gained 16
1/2 oz in the past 10 days. BW was 6-15, baby 8-12 today. I'm pushing her
to cut back supplements a little more and put baby to breast more
frequently *before* offering the supplement, especially as they approach
another growth spurt phase. (Has been nursing ~10X/day)  I'll take any
additional ideas or thoughts.
TIA,
Lisa

Lisa A. Marasco, IBCLC                                /  [log in to unmask]
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant    /  [log in to unmask]