From:
T Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 1998 11:19:51 -0400
I really support the current comments on finger-feeding, that it sometimes ends up becoming a substitute for breastfeeding. I remember doing a home visit where the Dad liked to sit with his baby on his lap while he watched TV, finger-feeding the baby. It made him feel like a more involved father, I think, but it sure wasn't very helpful in terms of breastfeeding.

When I first heard about cup-feeding, my third child was about six weeks old so I immediately expressed some milk and tried cup-feeding. To my surprise, it was easy. I then started persuading my friends with babies to let me try with theirs, and I got quite experienced at it. I have also cup-fed some very small premature babies - one was three pounds, the other four. I think this has given me confidence in encouraging other mothers to try it, and demonstrating it. In my experience, I think cup-feeding is better than fingerfeeding for short separations or for supplementing when a tube at the breast isn't available or working well.

Teresa Pitman