From:
clems-sapea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 11:38:32 +1000
Growth for breastfeeding babies(inparticular premmies) was a topic of concer
at the reason breast feeding workshop I attend.The only growth charts we
have to go on are those based on bottle feeding(formula) feed babies and
this is extremely difficult to base the expected growth of the current crop
of VLBW babies and 23wk plus babies that are now appearing in NICUs.When
breast fed they take longer then those that are formula feed to regain and
exceed their birth weights and to grow.The question asked by all my
colleagues was why hasn't someone come up with growth charts for these
breastfeeding bubs now that breastfeeding is being encouraged.
I've found a chart on the web for Chinese babies adopted by Americans but
can't come up with anything for anyother national.Does anyone know if such a
chart is in the pipeline
They keep telling us that these babies will have caught up with their peers
by two years of age but a breastfeeding mum wantsa to know about the here
and now not two years down the track

Anne RN RM BNS
Australia