From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 16:09:35 EDT
I have to chime in about Diane's comments on lousy latches.  I don't know how
many times I see a latch and moms tell me the upper lip is curled in.  I ask
her how it feels and if mom says it feels fine, then I tell her the latch is
fine.  My attitude is "don't fix what's not broken".  Moms don't believe me
because the other LC told her the upper and lower lips need to be curled out.  I
ask again "how does it feel?"  And, again I recite that studies demonstrate
the most reliable factor is not how it looks but how it feels.  If it doesn't
hurt, volume transferred is adequate (many times it's fabulous!), and nipple
comes out of mouth nicely round and not distorted, then it's an okay latch.  I
also confront the issue of "flanged lips" many times and moms inform me the LC
said she was latched properly, but I'm looking at her toes curl and peeling her
off of the ceiling.  In these instances, I don't care how well the lips are
flanged, the latch is not right.  I often have to convince moms of this
fact...they're so used to their friends, neighbors, other LCs telling them that it's
supposed to hurt until her nipples toughen up.  I had a mom come into my
office yesterday with her 2 week old to purchase a bra and pump pieces.
Unfortunately, she experienced severe soreness for 1 week and didn't call for a consult.
 She'd stopped into the office before having the baby, but didn't think I
could do anything more for her.  I let her know that the pain she endured was not
necessary.
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
St. Charles, IL