From:
Virginia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:46:24 +1000
I notice that the mother with the highly allergic baby, who appears to be reacting to something in her milk, has eliminated a variety of foods - but is still drinking SOY.  Could soy be the problem?  As many Lactnetters will know, some people can be allergic to soy among their other allergies, and some people without cow's milk allergy can react strongly to soy.
   These days soy seems ot be added to so many foods, so that even when the obvious sources are avoided, it can crop up as a protein filler.  I found this out when I noticed that gluten-free cake, here in Australia, always made me feel slightly nauseous, even after a small amount.  A restaurant checked, and told me the gluten in these products had been replaced by soy flour.  Soy is worse for me than is wheat.
    Perhaps soy isn't the problem with this mother - but it is worth checking out.  What a frustrating, and sad, scenario.  I hope a good resolution is found, and soon.
        Virginia