From:
Alan Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 21:23:32 -0800
I was horrified at the response of the judge in a custody case.  A recent separation of a young couple with a 18 month old, the child is still enjoying nursing at night especially at bedtime.  The father would like to have the toddler overnight two nights a week.  The judge in all his wisdom told her to wean the child.  Mother of course is very upset.  I have given her Jack's handout "What on Earth" breastfeeding a toddler.  Besides the nutritional benefits, there is all the nuturing that is happening.
I feel that the mother would have a human rights issue with the judge and should discuss this with her lawyer.
I would appreciate your comments.  TIA
Susan Todd RN IBCLC Vancouver Island, BC