From:
sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 10:43:08 +0800
As someone who enjoys sex- both from a personal perspective, and as a
subject of serious and humuorous discussions, I had to enter into the fray
here.   About a year ago there was a series on Public TV in the States
called "The Human Animal" presented by Desmond Morris.   His theories on
human sexuality were interesting.  He pointed out that humans are the only
mammals that have prominent "breasts" (do we call them breasts in other
species), before gestation and birth.  He  suggested that this makes the
female more attractive because it is natural to be attracted to one of your
species that outwardly exibits its ability to sucessfully procreate.  In
other words, a man wants to mate with a woman with breasts because the men
who mated with women that didn't have breasts didn't produce any offspring
(at least that survived).  I know that there are flaws in this argument, but
I kind of see what he means.  Also he says thet a womans breast cleavage is
meant to mirror the "cleavage" of her buttocks simce apes and other primates
who are on all fours look at the hind quarters of the female of the species
as the "sexy" part.   My problem with this is that I don't think that
cleavage is "normal".  In cultures where women are braless and /or topless,
I don't think they have cleavage. I think cleavage is aquired by wearing low
necked clothing and pushing the breasts up.  And this is not a new phenomanon.
I do accept that the culture that one lives in determines the attitudes that
prevail surrrounding beauty.  I can accept that there are cultures that
don't find breasts especially erotic (though my husband refuses to believe
it).  But hey, what's wrong with breasts being sexual.  I think it is too
limiting to say that breasts are made for feeding babies and thats that.  If
something gives pleasure why not?  I don't understand why we can't be more
like peacocks.  Be proud of our bodies for the many things that they do.  I
enjoy being a sexual person.  It doesn't keep me from being a nurturing
mother to my 5 kids.  I think that in a sexual contexts breasts are very
nice.  But I don't think that should mean that we cant appreciate the beauty
of the breast and its ablitiy to nurture and nurish our young.   Shoes
protect your feet, but that doesn't make it wrong to want your shoes to look
good too.   Every one has their own comfort level with their sexuality and
body immage and breast are just one piece in this  complicated issue.   On a
peronal anectdotal note- an African women I met a few years ago marvelled at
her hospital room mate who wouldn't breatfeed because her breasts belong to
her husband.  My African friend said with astonisment "what has a man with a
womans breasts to do!?"   As for why womens breasts are on front of their
chests- my husband says "they'd look silly if they were between your legs".
(That's meant to be funny.)  Well, here I sit in Perth, Australia where the
temperature is supposed to reach 38 today (that's close to 100F), and I am
watching the news reports about the snow storms "back home"- I'm from
Virginia.     Nancy Sherwood LLLL, IBCLC