From:
Sharon A Vallone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 00:36:00 -0400
Concerning the baby that...
"..... would not feed at the breast;
> attachment difficult and fleeting; no seal; no drawing in of breast
> tissue; baby becomes completely still after 4 "suckles" ; mother
> expressing and feeding by Avent bottle, where baby exhibits similar
> problems.
>
> Suck assessment (I hope I get the language right here). No rooting
> reflex elicited. No gape elicited. Tongue held to roof of mouth
> asymetrically. Light touch to palate did not elicit sucking reflex.
> Very
> firm touch to junction of hard and soft palate produced weak sucking
> motion x 4 then lips and jaw flaccid with tongue quivering in floor
> of
> mouth.
> When soft palate inadvertently touched no gag reflex but heaving
> motion
> of baby's body.
> Even the most gentle handling seemed to be overwhelming for this
> baby,
> although she was calmed by quite vigorous rocking by her mother. In
> other respects she displayed normal behaviours of a 3 to 5 week old
> baby."

If possible, have the infant evaluated by a chiropractor who does cranial
work or a craniosacral therapist to determine if there is a migration of
one of the four parts of the occiput (usually a migration of the condyle
medially decreasing the size of the foramen magnum and potentially
causing restriction at the foramen where the cranial nerve that controls
the suck and rooting reflexes and tongue action.  Also, the sphenobasilar
junction is probably immobile based on the description of response to
firm pressure on the palate.  Treatment will reduce the "subluxation" of
the associated cranial bones and you will probably see some immediate
changes in the infant. The earlier you use this type of intervention, the
faster they respond. The later you intervene, the more neurologic
programming has occurred and you need to override this programming with
healthier habits.