From:
Sharon A Vallone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 21:15:15 -0400
On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 09:42:28 -0400 Donna / Al Dolwick
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> Barbara,
> "In a recent study; calcium citrate yielded 2.5 times greater
> absorption than the calcium carbonate form."
> I cut this out of an article about 1 year ago and saved it for
> myself.  I don't remember where it originated from though.  Maybe
> some of the dieticians can help with this.
> Donna Goggin-Dolwick, RN, BSN, LCCE

Barbara and Donna,

Calcium absorbs best in an acidic environment.  Taking it on an empty
stomach, or at night or with orange juice all increase ability to absorb.
 Depending on why you are taking it (some thing calcium hydroxyapatite
has the best molecular charge for increasing bone density), calcium
citrate, calcium lactate (so not take if you are sensitive to lactose!),
calcium aspartate or calcium malate (myofibralgia patients) all absorb
better than calcium carbonate which is a common antacid.  Taking TUMS for
calcium is not the way to go!  Also remember, if working to increase bone
density or under any other circumstances, magnesium and other trace
minerals are also important to include in the profile.

Articles recently have also told us to watch out when using bone meal or
oystershell or dolomite because contaminants like mercury have been
identified in some products (runoff poisons the land and animals and
shellfish concentrate the toxins from foods they scavange into the shell
and bone).

Sharon A. Vallone, DC, DICCP
Hartford, CT
Kentuckiana Children's Center