From:
Cordelia Merritt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 22:02:14 -0700

I had a conversation with a perinatiologist a few years back about
VBACs.  I believe that at the time we had had a few uterine ruptures
in our LDR.  I wanted to know what was up and why there was so much
concern about VBACs.  He explained to me that over the past few years,
single layer closures had become common but they had found that single
layer closures don't seem to hold up as well in labour thus the
increase in uterine ruptures.  I believe that some OB's would
recommend repeat cesarean birth if the uterus had been closed with a
single layer.  Induction of labour with a VBAC is done carefully, if
at all, most often always with oxytocin never prostiglandin gel,
occasionally cervidil might be used.  The difference between gel,
cervidil and oxytocin is that you can stop oxytocin and remove
cervidil but you can take out the gel if the uterus becomes
overstimulated.

Another factor in deciding on VBAC, is the length of time between
pregnancies, I believe they prefer 2 years between pregnancies so that
the uterus is well healed.

Yes it is possible for parts of the baby to be found in the abdominal
cavity when the uterus has ruptured, though it is rare.  I think that
it is more common to see what is called a "window" in the uterus when
labour has been obstructed.  This occurs when the uterus has not
ruptured but has stretched so thin that one can see through it at time
of c/s.

I remember back in my student days, the abdominal scar being removed
at time of a second abdominal surgery but I never remember seeing this
done during a cesarean for either the abdominal or uterine scar during
the time I worked in LDR.

Cordelia