Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 17:46:20 EDT
<< > But I also mention that a drink a night is still 30 drinks/month,
 >and WAY too much for most people, especially when breastfeeding is involved.

 Sorry....that still sounds dogmatic to me!

I admit my last comment (above) may be construed as dogmatic.  I do think
some of what is happening in this thread is a difference in cultures.  Most
of my class participants are Americans without a strong ethnic influence.

Being married to a second-generation Italian, I'm aware that alcoholic
consumption, especially wine or beer with meals, etc. is an everyday,
"normal" practice.  I'm also trained as a social worker, however, as well as
being an Adult Child of a chemically dependent mother.  So I'm more cautious,
maybe, than the literature would warrant in advising against a drink a night.

Thank you, Heather, for reminding us to look at where our clients are coming
from, socially, culturally, and chemically, when we dole out our
recommendations!

Carol Schlef, RNC, MSW, IBCLC
St. Louis, MO USA