Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:41:23 +0000
I disagree completely that cups are the first choice for
supplementation.  Why on earth?  If the baby needs to be supplemented
(and we won't go into that here), then the best way is at the breast
with a lactation aid.  I don't understand why people cannot understand
that.  It really rots my socks that someone would even consider this
approach when the baby takes the breast.

A cup is better than a syringe, in my opinion.  But if the baby is not
taking the breast, finger feeding helps teach him how to take the
breast, and should be done only when the mother is there so that she
can latch the baby on after a minute or two of finger feeding.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC