From:
Jennifer tieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:02:27 -0400
I re-evaluated the sleepy baby with large weight loss and no BMs for 2 days
today.
Mom started supplementing, pumping after feeds, and continuing to stimulate
baby at the breast 2 days ago.  Mom's milk came in yesterday.  He had
perked up nicely with this and had 4 poopy diapers and 4 additional wet
diapers in the last 24 hours.  He had gained 8 oz according to our scale.
I'm not sure I quite believe that gain, but baby did appear better filled
out, with a nice round tummy.  He was very active and alert today, and
nursed in the office vigorously with many swallows heard.
Surprisingly, mom only managed to get into him a total of 8 oz of
supplement in the 2 days.  (Mostly AIM since her milk had not come in, but
some expressed breastmilk.)  She chose to supplement by bottle, and baby
was not very interested, especially once her milk came in.
Mom just floated out of here thrilled to death, and will continue to
monitor output while decreasing and stopping the supplement.  So I'm
thinking that the main problem here was the delay in her milk coming in,
and the baby being small and not very vigorous at moving milk.  Hopefully,
they are on a permanent upswing now!
Jennifer Tieman
Family Physician
Mom to 4, including nursling Caroline Rose born 5/31/03
P.S. In my sleep deprived haze this morning (I was out all night attending
a birth) I forgot to bring bottles to store ebm in today.  Now I'm wishing
I paid more attention to all that talk on containers recently.  I'm
thinking we'll do with sterile specimen cups for a few hours until I get
home.  My poor husband is sleep deprived too, after trotting back and forth
to the freezer to make bottles all night.  We're all looking forward to a
nice, peaceful night of shared sleep tonight!