"Valerie W, McClain" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 05:03:10 EST
"I have heard that there are research programs that could use breast milk.
Talk to Dr. Ruth Lawrence.  She is aware of a place in California that takes
breast milk donations for research purposes."

I think mothers who donate to these "research" programs should be made aware
that the patenting of human milk components is part and parcel of many of
these programs.  Based on this research, artificial components are created by gene
splicing techniques for use in infant formula, supplements, and
pharmaceuticals (vaccines).  Certainly, if they want to freely give to support this growing
industry's profits, they should do so.

Until there is some sort of regulation on human milk research regarding
patenting, I would suggest that the monopolization and commodification of human
milk components is not in the best interest of the breastfeeding community.
Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC