From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:47:43 +0000
In the UK the current chart (not, repeat not, the CDC chart but our very own
chart based on UK data from the 1990's) will be replaced by a chart called
'UK-WHO'.  this will be WHO data from 2 weeks to four years, with birth and
moderately pre-term (from 32 weeks) data from the UK.

There is a group working on thi;  we have done our own design using the
data, and written instructions.  The instructions will be printed on the
chart used in hospitals and clinics and cover things like the interpretation
of weight loss from birth and birth weight regain.  We have made
recommendations for the minimum intervals between weights for normal healthy
babies.  We have also written new information pages for parents which will
go in the record parents carry with weight charts, imms record, etc.

Come April, everyone who orders a chart will get the new one.  Each local
area will use up their old stock and then all babies will be plotted on the
new charts.

So, over the time of a few months or so, we should have the whole country on
the WHO chart.  Not sure yet how the changes will be monitored, hope there
will be some funding for this. The work so far has been funded by the
Department of Health, paid to the Royal College of Paediatricians and Child
Health (RCPCH).  Of course, it will be hard for anyone else to interpret our
findings cos they will have moved from a different chart to WHO, if they
move.

I believe that we are the first 'western' country to commit to adopt the WHO
chart.

Magda Sachs
Registered Breastfeeding Supporter
The Breastfeeding Network