Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 14:54:27 +0000
Nikki Lee reminds us:

'A concern world-wide about soy formula is the level of phytoestrogens'

Here, too, where the department of health came out quite strongly against
the use of soy formula a few years ago, except in certain rare
circumstances. This had the effect of halving the numbers of mothers
(already a very small minority) using it, I am glad to say.

There was what I can only term a fashion for soy formula a few years ago.
It is scandalous that mothers were led to believe by health professionals -
on no real evidence as far as I can see - that soy formula was 'better' for
their babies than cow's milk formula.

It is further clear proof, IMHO, that ABM manufacturers deliberately create
markets which they then proceed to meet. Infant nutrition has very little
to do with this.

But then we know this already...doesn't stop it being a scandal, though.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne