From:
Tony Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 22:35:53 -0400
Hi all.  I need your wonderful advice again!  I had a doctor approach me with a situation today.  She is not OB-GYN.  Her field is internal medicine.  She has a patient with a 4 week old.  Mom and baby started out nursing.  Mom wound up with a staff infection in her c/s incision, became septic and was hospitalized.  Started on IV vancomycin and bf was stopped.  This was a very sick lady.  She had a breast pump and after a day or two on antibiotics, she started pumping.  Ped instructed mom to dump milk while on vanco.  She was discharged after a week or so.  Still pumping and dumping.  Had a relapse and was placed on another antibiotic (not sure what), but was still being told to pump and dump.  This is around the time my friend started seeing this pt.  She said she had placed this pt on buspar and at this point is still pumping and dumping, but is starting to do it less and less.  Mom is *very* stressed.  She has had a really horrible experience.  But she would still love to bf.  I have talked with her twice on the phone.  Very shaky and tearful.  I agree with her doc that she does need medication.  I have searched the archives and found only 2 posts re: buspar from about a year ago.  Does anyone know any more about bf while on buspar, or if it is not ok, then an alternative medicine?  This pt only got to actually nurse her baby a few days.  I truly feel that if she could nurse now, especially after her horrible experience, it would help her emotional state tremendously.  If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Judy Phillips