From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 10:40:42 EST
I don't know of any studies supporting the use of only one alternative feeding
method, but I can share my experience working with our nurses.  I will agree
that it looks a little foolish to parents when everybody is doing something
different.  Our policy states that syringe (dropper) feeding should only be used
when we're feeding very small amounts of expressed colostrum (<5cc).  What I
found was that nurses and parents didn't quite get the rationale behind the
alternative feeding methods, so they'd let the baby suck on the tip of the
syringe.  Pretty soon we'd have babies taking a couple of ounces by 10cc syringe
and for what?  Sucking on the tip sure doesn't reinforce any appropriate oral
behavior.

I've also gotten away from finger feeding and only use it occasionally.  I think
it can be used effectively to reinforce appropriate suckling behavior, but
again, that was not the way I found it being used.  The nurses just wanted to
get the baby fed, so would push the milk in at a steady pace or raise the
container so gravity would encourage it to drip continuously.  So again, what
did that accomplish?

Primarily we use cup feeding in the hospital and cup or Haberman feedings to go
home with, depending on what the parents can manage and what we see baby doing.
I'm convinced that the less cumbersome the alternative feeding method is,  the
more likely mom will manage the nursing-pumping-feeding routine until baby is
breastfeeding well.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC, Appleton, WI

P.S.  I'm still hopeful someone will comment on the possible connection between
baby's flat palate and mom's nipple compression.  Thanks.