From:
Jeanne Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 1995 16:26:15 GMT
Hi Lisa,

Several of our Peer Counselors from Mexico tells me Yerba Buena is a
type of mint, similar to spearmint, but not as strong.  It is frequently
used
to settle a baby's tummy.  In Texas, chamomile and manzanilla are also
used as teas in bottles.  We think the ounce of tea may have calmed a
colicky baby so he/she could sleep.  We have not seen evidence that it
has a
sedative effect.

We find it difficult to convince a mom that her grandmother is "wrong"
about using tea to soothe a baby, when it does seem to have a calming
effect.  So, we emphasize boiling the tea (for sanitary reasons) and
offer it
to baby with a spoon or dropper.  #1 - no risk of nipple confusion.  #2
mom will probably only give < 1/2 ounce this way.

Let us know if this works for you.

Special thanks to Barbara Wilson-Clay for including city/state.  I often
wonder where all you wonderful people are from.

Jeanne Fisher, RN, IBCLC, APL
Austin, TX