From:
Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:01:12 -0500
> Can anyone think of *any* reason why anticipated installation of a
pacemaker
> would not be compatible with breastfeeding?  The recommendation - that
this
> newly-delivered mother not even start - apparently came from an IBCLC.
All
> I can figure is that she and I come from different planets...

Diane, my charitable response is that there must be a whole lot more to this
story than you are hearing - that mom has some sort of complicated medical
situation, that perhaps cardiac drugs are involved, etc., and so there may
be concerns about the mother's health that are so serious that a
recommendation not to breastfeed is one possible response.  [note I am not
implying that mothers on cardiac drugs cannot breastfeed]

Now, I can't conjure up such a scenario in my imagination even when I try
real hard!  I am also wondering, does the mother's medical situation perhaps
*sound* so intimidating or threatening that the recommendation not to
breastfeed seems 'safer' to the IBCLC?  Certainly an IBCLC who's not had
exposure to or experience with challenging medical situations might find
herself intimidated here.

Not justifying the recommendation at all.....  I do think you need a pretty
thorough rundown of all the facts.  If you got this from the mom, maybe
she's omitting something she considers inconsequential that is actually
really key?  Meanwhile I'm also mystified.

Mary Renard, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Vienna Virginia  USA