From:
Barbara Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2016 10:36:25 -0400
Dear Amy,
I believe this recommendation comes from the fear that the baby will not
transfer enough breastmilk with the nipple shield which is sometimes true.

This is where our work begins. In my opinion, based upon research and my
clinical experience, we have to do careful pre and post weights to see
what does the baby actually transfer with and without the nipple shield.
Sometimes I have to try many different sizes, do several pre and post
weights, so this can be quite a process.

I have found that either the baby transfers plenty of breastmilk with
the shield and in that case I have the mother pump or hand express twice
a day right after a feed to help protect her breastmilk supply (I don't
know if this is necessary but I don't want to jeopardize her milk
supply)  but to come back for a weight check in 3 days and if the weight
gain is good, I would usually suggest she stop pumping or hand expressing.

In case two, the baby takes in half a meal or so, not a full feed. In
this case, yes the mother needs to pump or hand express, BUT what is
missing from the Medela handout, is you have to then supplement the baby
appropriately!

Finally, (and there are many other possible variations on this) if I
have a non latching baby and the baby finally goes to the breast with a
nipple shield but doesn't transfer much at all, the mother needs to
supplement for most of the calories and then pump or hand express as if
she were exclusively pumping or hand expressing. I explain to the mother
(these mothers are usually so, so relieved and thrilled that the baby is
AT the breast at all), that they should think of breastfeeding with the
shield as a fun and comfort activity, more like a little snack, but the
baby still needs to be fed.
I view nipple shields like training wheels for a bike. Training wheels
keep you from falling over so you can focus on peddling, stopping, and
steering. Nipple shields, in some cases, seem to help the baby stay on
the breast so they can work on milk transfer.

However, then this is crucial. We also have to figure out why they need
training wheels in the first place! This should be evaluated during your
exam of the baby at the first visit. Honestly, again in my clinical
experience, most babies who need shields have the need for some body
work or an undiagnosed tongue tie. The baby should either just out grow
the nipple shield quickly (in a few days or a week) like training wheels
on a bike if they just needed a little help to get started. If they do
not, in my opinion, there is an underlying physical cause they need the
nipple shield and another action is required so the baby doesn't need
the nipple shield anymore.

Sorry for the long post! Some of our profession are not fans of nipple
shields, but I think using them sparingly as transitional tools while
you work on resolving the underlying causes can be very effective and
satisfying to parents.

Thank you!

--

Barbara Robertson, MA, IBCLC, RLC