From:
Amy Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2016 11:41:25 -0400
I truly appreciate all of the discussion regarding nipple shields!!  Being a hospital-based IBCLC, I am frequently faced with questions from nursing staff regarding conflicting recommendations for pumping.  In our hospital, nipple shields are available to staff nurses to dispense to patients when needed, often without an IBCLC consultation/followup.  Our LC staff feels that if the staff RNs are prevented from dispensing shields, then many more mothers may quit breastfeeding since we do not offer 24 hr/day IBCLC coverage/support for pts.

Question:  how are nipple shields dispensed in your practice sites?  Can any staff member supply a shield or must the pt be evaluated by an IBCLC, etc…?

Also, regarding liability, how does an IBCLC justify pumping recommendations that may not match the manufacturer’s guidelines??

Thank you,
Amy

Amy Wagner, BS, RN, CCES, IBCLC
Hershey PA