From:
rick marchese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 15:04:37 -0500
Hello Lactneters. I'm new to Lactnet and sso I'm abit nervous about
posting this but I have a problem that has me stumped. I've been so
impressed with the intelligent and informative ideas that I've seen so
far from all of you on Lactnet that I'm hoping someone will have some
ideas for me. I got a call from a mom this morning of a 5 month old, 2nd
child. Mom had a C-Section and said that baby has been very sensitive
about positioning from the beginning; always wants to have lots of
pillows and likes to nurse lying down rather than in traditional cradle
hold. Anyway, mom says that baby was really starting to do well with
nursing around 10-12 weeks old. Then at four month check Dr. suggested
starting solids. Mom just tried barley cereal, and some fruits but as
soon as solids began baby became increasingly fussy at the breast and
now, about 3 weeks later almost always will not take the breast. Mom has
no symptoms of thrush or mastitis or plugged ducts. Baby has been
slightly congested but mom does not seem to think that it is too
serious. Mom has an active letdown so I have suggested leaning back
while nursing or expressing to get past the initial letdown. Mom already
takes baby to bed and this is where the most successful nursing sessions
have happened. Dr. recommended giving EBM orABM in a cup rather than a
bottle(yeah) if she needs to supplement . This baby is also very fond of
the pacifer and I suggested to the mom that she try to cut back on it so
that the baby is having his sucking needs met at the breast.This mom
would really like to continue to breastfeed but she is getting pretty
frustrated especially when she knows that the baby is really hungry and
can't get him to take the breast. Any suggestions or ideas would be
greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Sincerely, Clara R. Marchese
LLLL Rochester, New York