From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 12:58:15 +0900
 I got a call from a mom this morning of a 5 month old, 2nd
>child. Mom had a C-Section and said that baby has been very sensitive
>about positioning from the beginning; always wants to have lots of
>pillows and likes to nurse lying down rather than in traditional cradle
>hold. Anyway, mom says that baby was really starting to do well with
>nursing around 10-12 weeks old. Then at four month check Dr. suggested
>starting solids. Mom just tried barley cereal, and some fruits but as
>soon as solids began baby became increasingly fussy at the breast and
>now, about 3 weeks later almost always will not take the breast. Mom has
>no symptoms of thrush or mastitis or plugged ducts. Baby has been
>slightly congested but mom does not seem to think that it is too
>serious.

I would suggest, first of all quit the solids, to see if the increased
fussiness is related to these. It may take a while before she notices a
difference though - for the body to clear. A five-month-old breastfed baby
does not need these yet anyway - six months at the earliest. The 4 month
recommendation is 'nutritional insurance' for the artificially-fed baby
(which, as we know, is the majority of babies in this age group :-( which
is why health professionals tell *all* mothers this, even in Australia).

If it is the solids making the difference, look for food intolerances. The
congestion is a clue also that intolerance may be present - possibly dairy
(as this is the most common statistically, and is associated with
congestion), but could be something else. Has baby had any other symptoms
up to now, like colic, reflux, eczema, dry skin, cradle cap, mucus in the
stools? Any history in the family (both sides of baby's) of food
intolerances?

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]