From:
"Heidi A. Bingham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:25:42 -0500
> Ezzo has promoted this [baby sign language] also-- it is discussed in his
second book, Babywise
> 2: The toddler years. If I didnt' know how it was being used (at least by
> Ezzo), it sounds like an interesting and possibly helpful concept.
However,
> if it is used to hold a baby accountable for "understanding" and "obeying"
> ala Ezzo, then I'm against it.

Lisa ~ This is part of the problem with Ezzo -- he takes something that
could be a good tool and uses it in such a horrendous way!  There's a book
called "Baby Signs" which advocates teaching young children to sign --
generally their own "made up" signs, not an official sign "language" like
ASL (which actually can be difficult for young children because many of the
signs takes a fair amount of manual dexterity).  "Baby Signs" is so FAR from
Ezzo -- there is not controlling or manipulating the child to hold him or
her accountable for anything.  It is to facilitate communicating for both
baby and parent.  No manipulation or controlling of the child involved (at
least not that I remember, I read it about 2 or 3 years ago).

I started using signs when my 4th child was nearing 2 yo and didn't
communicate much verbally, but was *really* frustrated with not being able
to let us know what she was thinking -- she was past the point where a
simple grunt and point could get her message across but we couldn't
understand what she was thinking, so she'd WAIL with frustration.  We
introduced signs to overcome her frustration (not keep her from whining or
even grunting).  She immediately took to signing and it seemed to encourage
her verbal communication, as well.  (She's 3 now, and sometimes I wish she'd
keep quiet, LOL)  I'm using signing some with my now 18 month old, too,
mainly for fun.  He seems to enjoy being able to communicate.  He can even
string a couple signs together and will ever say "more boob please" in ASL.
(the friends who initally sent us the Ezzo books are coming to visit at
Easter, wonder what they'll think about that, LOL!)  And he's very proud of
himself for being able to do it -- you should see his face light up with a
big toddler grin as he claps his hands when mommy understands him!  I do
not, however, insist he sign each and every time, and if I ask him to sign
and he makes it clear he's not going to, that's it.  I read his other cues.
There's no reason to set up a confrontation over it.  He'll learn more about
the good graces of communication as he grows.

Signs, rather than part of a "method" or even a "fad" can be a good tool in
buliding a close parent/child bond (much like any other tool we choose to
use such as slings).  Signs can enhance the already good communication
between AP parents and baby (probably would work better for AP parents than
Ezzo parents since AP diads are used to close communication to begin with).
They certainly aren't necessary, but they can be helpful!  Just because
someone abuses the tools doesn't mean we can disregard the tools.  Of
course, I would never send someone to Prep for Toddler Years (Babywise II)
to get the tool (ick, ick, ick!) but I wouldn't recommend against them using
it because Ezzo chose to abuse it.

~ Heidi