From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 14:16:49 +0900
  I need a reference that explains the dangers of giving breastfed
>babies 'extra' water in hot weather.  My nutrition professor is very open
>to discussion on this, but she'd like to see a reference saying that it is
>not simply 'unecessary' but also that it is harmful.

Heidi,
I'm not sure if the following references say it is harmful, but they
definitely say it is unnecessary. I have only summaries of these two, not
the full articles, but I hope they help:

Sachdev HPS et al, Water Supplementation in Exclusively Breastfed Infants
During Summer in the Tropics, Lancet 337:929-33, 1991

Almroth S & Bidinger PD, No Need For Water Supplementation for Exclusively
Breasfed Infants Under Hot and Arid Conditions, Soc Trop Med Trans
84:602-604, 1990

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]