Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:26:11 +1300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Hi All

I am aware that I have to start at the bottom of the ladder as a newly qualified LC -   and feel to-day that I know nothing -  I would appreciate any suggestions or books that I can read to help with my journey I own the Breastfeeding Atlas, The breastfeeding Answer Book,Breastfeeding &  Human Lactation 2nd Ed Riordan, Auerbach-  I was looking after a 3 day neonate - born by emergency section.  birth weight 3745.  I observed when the baby was attached to the breast that his cheeks dimpled, and he made slurping noises, and very few swallowing  sounds - His output was down - I  weighed  him  and he had lost 11% in 3 days - All the observations written in the clinical notes stated that this baby was an excellent Breastfeeder - Mum nipples had old grazes on them, and when the baby came off, the nipple wasnt stretched, and was flat on one side.  Where can I get more  information so that I know what i the cause of these b/f problems are as above . How do other new Lc assess their b/f problems - should I have done a suck assessment because of the noise? Are there red flags that I need to know about to help my practice.  ( I so sorry this is so long)

Sincerely

June Nicholls
Registered Midwife
IBCLC  (AS from 17th October)
New Zealand

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2