From:
Peg Merrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 23:56:37 -0400
I'm working with a mom now whose baby has a small tight mouth, short tongue,
recessed chin, and tight upper and lower lip frenulums.  In other words,
it's almost impossile to get a good latch from this kid. Somewhere deep in
the recesses of my brain is the thought that baby may have a certain type of
"syndrome" but I can't seem to recall it.  I've never seen such a bad suck.
The baby nursed on a nipple shield for the first two weeks (and lost weight
of course), but I think the shield was under the tongue, as her tongue is
almost always on the roof of her mouth.  Mom has been doing suck training
for about a week now, but baby still does not feed well at the breast.  I'm
wondering if anyone else has had experience with a baby like this and if so
how long does it take to outgrow, or do they?  I would like to be able to
give mom some hope for the future, as she is getting tired of pumping, etc.